Convocation - Alexandra Bell

I had gone to see the exhibition in the Wriston with another class the day before, and that was definitely helpful me have a better frame of reference going into the talk. I was curious seeing the exhibition what her motivations were in making the piece. Did she have a message in mind and craft a way to deliver it, or did working on the art come first? I liked hearing how gradual he process was and how it took its own shape as much as she shaped it herself. Hearing about all of the parts of her life and her studies that eventually led to the works was interesting.

I thought she was a good speaker and did well reaching the audience. Her little story about going out and drinking was cute and fun, but also helped connect to the audience and set a certain tone for how the talk went. I felt like with that casual, personal touch I was able to understand her way of thinking better and therefore understand her art a little better, too. 

I'm glad talked about the change of the intended space for the works (I believe answering Charlie's question). Rather than the change of venue being because the art was designed for "the art itself" and the space was secondary, the art staying mostly the same and transitioning from street art to a gallery space while remaining mostly the same was quite intentional. 

Hands down the best convocation I've been too. (By virtue of it being the only convocation I've been to. But that's neither here nor there.)

Comments

Popular Posts